1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
6 Japanese eggplants, cut in cubes (or 1 large regular eggplant which is salted and drained)
3/4 head* garlic, crushed or chopped fine
1 cup water
1 tablespoon dried basil (or 1/4 cup fresh chopped)
salt to taste.
pepper to taste.
*that's HEAD not clove, yes, you can use a lot of garlic if you really want to.)
1. In a large heavy bottomed pan (or Dutch oven), sauté (in water or veggie stock) onions over medium heat until soft and sweet.
2. Add mushrooms, eggplant, garlic and water.
3. Keep on medium - high heat stirring occasionally until the water is boiling (about 2 min).
4. Turn down heat to a simmer and cover about 1/2 hour or until eggplant is done and very soft (regular eggplant may take a bit longer).
5. Add basil, salt and pepper to taste. Reheat when ready to serve.