salt & pepper
4 sticks celery
6 tablspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
400 grams chopped tomatoes (approx 7 roma tomatoes)
2-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons capers (if they're legal)
12 stoned green olives
1 tablespoon pine nuts or flaked almonds, toasted
2 hard boiled eggs, quartered (if you want to make it a richer dish)
1. Cut eggplants into 1cm cubes. Salt and drain in colander 1 hr. Then rinse and pat dry.
2. Cook celery sticks in boiling water for 8 minutes, then drain and cube
3. Heat 4 tbsp of oil in large frypan and add eggplant, stir frequently for about 10 minutes till tender. Remove.
4. Heat remaining oil, add onion and fry gently about 5 minutes. Add celery and fry stirring about 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, bearing in mind that the eggplants are already salted. Simmer gently until tomato is reduced and the veg tender (10-20m).
6. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar, honey, capers,olives and cooked eggplant. Simmer for a few extra minutes, stirring continuously.
7. Adjust seasoning and add extra vinegar if required, if you like it sweeter add extra honey too.
8. Garnish if you like.