1 large eggplant, chopped
2 small zucchini (summer squash can be substituted for one of the zucchinis)
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped or grated
several cloves crushed garlic
several tablespoons dry red wine
1 teaspoons pure salt
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon oregano
6-8 plum tomatoes, blanched and chopped
tomato juice, simmered down to approx. half cup after about fifteen minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
black pepper, to taste
havarati cheese, shredded (optional)
black olives, chopped (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in large pot.
2. Add crushed garlic, bay leaf, onion, and salt lightly.
3. Sauté over medium heat until onion turns transparent.
4. Add eggplant, wine and cooked tomato juice. Add herbs.
5. Stir until mixed well, then cover and simmer over low heat about ten minutes.
6. Add zucchini and peppers. Cover and simmer another ten minutes.
7. Add salt and pepper; then add tomatoes, and mix well.
8. Continue to stew for a few more minutes until vegetables are tender.
9. Just before serving, mix in the fresh parsley.
10. Top generously with shredded havarti cheese, and sprinkle with chopped black olives.