1 gallon small beets
2 tablespoons allspice
2 sticks cinnamon, 2 inches long
1 1/2 quarts vinegar
1/2 cup honey
1. Cook beets with roots and about 2 inches of stem left on in water to cover.
2. When tender, dip beets in cold water and slip off skins. If beets are very small, keep whole; if not, slice thickly or cut in quarters. Put beets in large enamel or stainless steel pot.
3. Combine the allspice, cinnamon, and vinegar, pour over beets and bring to a boil. Add honey.
4. Pack into hot, scalded pint jars.
5. Cover beets with boiling syrup, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
6. Seal and process 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.