1 pound brussel sprouts (trim the stems and cut in half through the stem area)
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder *
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder *
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder **
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (optional, USE ONLY IF YOU CAN TOLERATE SEEDS)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsweetened dessicated coconut (if you can tolerate it)
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons water
1. Preferably in a non-stick pot (with a lid), heat the oil over medium high heat for a minute.
2. Add the mustard seeds and fry till they turn grey and begin to pop. Immediately remove the pot from the heat source.
3. Turn the heat down to medium.
4. With the pot still away from the heat, add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli powders.
5. Return the pot back to the heat - this avoids burning the powders but instead lightly frying them.
6. Add the brussel sprouts and the water. Add the salt.
7. Give it all a good stir for a minute.
8. Cover with a lid, bring the heat down to low. The steam generated will cook the vegetables. If needed stir every now and then and sprinkle drops of water to avoid the sprouts sticking to the pot.
9. The cooking time should take about 15-20 minutes to get them fork tender.
10. Turn off the heat. Sprinkle the coconut over the sprouts, giving them a stir and serve hot.