1 1/2 pounds lean lamb, trimmed and cut into 2 in. pieces
1 cup dry red wine
1/3 pound mushrooms, quartered
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 in. pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large dutch oven until hot and sauté mushrooms until lightly browned, set aside. (Note: A dutch oven is another word for a heavy covered pot that can be used on the range or in the oven. Any heavy, covered pot will do.)
2. Add remaining oil to dutch oven. Add lamb,in batches, and brown pieces on all sides, adding additional oil as needed.
3. Remove lamb and set aside. Drain off fat from dutch oven.
4. Put dutch oven over high flame and add wine.
5. As wine simmers/boils, scrape brown bits off the bottom of the dutch oven with a spatula and stir into wine to dissolve.
6. Reduce flame to medium high heat. Add mushrooms, lamb and remaining ingredients to wine. Add water just to cover.
7. Cover dutch oven and simmer until lamb is tender.