1 pound trimmed zucchini
3 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp butter
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup homemade yogurt
minced fresh cilantro (I used dried)
salt to taste
lime or lemon wedges if served cold
1. Chop zucchini in large chunks and put in small soup pot.
2. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, covered, about 10 minutes (until zucchini are very tender.)
3. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small, non-stick frying pan. Add onion, cumin and cinnamon, and sauté until onion is soft and spices are fragrant.
4. Put both mixtures into a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth, but do not sieve.
5. Add yogurt (and chicken, if desired).
6. Serve hot or chilled, sprinkled with cilentro, if use fresh. If use dried, put in with cumin and cinnamon when sautéeing onion. May wait to add salt at table, individually.