1 med-sized cauliflower
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 whole head garlic
1-3 cups soup stock (chicken works well)
2 teaspoons salt (depending on stock)
2 teaspoons fresh group pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Cut the cauliflower into quarters, and spread a little olive oil on all sides.
2. Wrap the head of garlic in foil.
3. Place the cauliflower and garlic on the barbecue, turning the cauliflower every 10 minutes, for about half an hour - until tender (a little charring is good too!).
4. IF NOT BARBEQUEING: roast the cauliflower and garlic in a 400F oven until tender, about 30-45 min.
5. Heat olive oil in a pot, and add 1/2 chopped onion - stir until onion is mostly translucent
6. Remove garlic pulp from the skins, and add to pot
7. Coarsely chop up the cauliflower and add to pot
8. Add stock to pot, and top up with water if necessary (the liquid should not cover the cauliflower, only come about 3/4 to the top of the cauliflower)
9. Put the pot lid on, and bring to a boil
10. Reduce heat; add salt, pepper and parmesan cheese
11. Use a hand-blender and blend the ingredients well - or pour the soup into a regular blender and let it puree for a few minutes. See note below.
12. This soup doesn't have to simmer for hours, so eat whenever you're ready!