1 pound red beets, scrubbed, tops and tails removed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/5 cup mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for roasting pan
salt to taste
pepper to taste
mixed salad greens, arugula or spinach (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Place whole unpeeled, scrubbed and trimmed beets in greased baking pan.
3. Roast just until a knife easily pierces to center of beets; 30 min. to 1 hour depending on size.
4. Meanwhile prepare viniagrette: mix mustard and honey together, add cider vinegar, and then whisk in olive oil.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust acid/sweet balance of viniagrette to your liking.
6. Peel beets when cool enough to handle (skins should be easily removable, mostly 'peelable' with the fingers) and then dice beets into bite size pieces.
7. Toss beets with 2/3 of viniagrette. Let marinate at least one hour, stirring occassionally.
8. If desired, make extra viniagrette and toss with some salad greens (slightly bitter ones are best). Serve beets on top of greens.