3/4 pounds mushrooms, finely chopped
1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoons french cream
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
12 slices ham [without holes--10 oz]
12 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees f.
2. Cook mushrooms and shallot in butter with salt and pepper in a large heavy skillet, over moderately high heat, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and liquid they give off is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the french cream and tarragon.
4. Fit 1 slice of ham into each 12 lightly oiled muffin cups [ends will stick up and hang over edges of cups].
5. Divide mushrooms among cups and crack 1 egg into each one. bake in middle of oven until whites are cooked but yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes.
6. Season eggs with salt and pepper and remove [with ham] from muffin cups carefully, using 2 spoons or small spatulas.
7. Note: the eggs are not fully cooked.