2 cups cooked lima beans
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
3 large eggs
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons almond flour
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt (or even a little more)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (optional)
6 (or more) tablespoons olive oil
1. I prepare lima beans by soaking the dried beans in water overnight. The next morning, drain them, place in a large pot, cover with a couple of inches of water and cook for 40 minutes.
2. Blend lima beans, garlic and rosemary in food processor to coarse paste.
3. Add eggs, 4 Tablespoons water and extra-virgin olive oil; blend until smooth.
4. Add almond flour, cumin, salt, pepper and baking soda and blend. Pour batter into bowl.
5. Heat 6 Tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
6. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil.
7. Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side. Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as necessary and allow to get hot before adding more batter.
8. Transfer latkes to plates. Top with home-made yogurt.
- Castleton, Ontario