3 pounds beets (about 12 medium)
4 cups apple cider
4 cups water
6 tablespoons lemon juice
pinch of salt
2 cups SCD nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup SCD nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
6 large red radishes, diced, for garnish
1/2 cup seedless cucumber, diced, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Wash beets well; trim stems and roots, leaving one inch of each.
3. Wrap beets individually in aluminum foil and place on baking sheet.
4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove skins. Coarsely grate the beets.
6. Place beets in a heavy pot.
7. Add the apple juice (cider), water, lemon juice and salt.
8. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook soup for 15 minutes, partially covered, skimming foam that rises to top.
9. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
10. Place 2 cups yogurt in a bowl and whisk in about 3 cups of the soup. Gradually whisk this mixture back into the soup pot until thoroughly combined.
11. Chill completely in the refrigerator.
12. Serve the borscht in bowls garnished with a dollop of yogurt, then sprinkle with the diced radishes and cucumbers.