1 3/4 lb ground pork or hamburger
8 dried mild red chiles, preferably 4 anchos and 4 New Mexican
1/2 cup minced onions
10 cloves cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
pinch of cinnamon
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons cumin seeds*, toasted and ground
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Break the stem off the chile pods and discard most of the seeds.
3. Place the pods in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast them for about 5 minutes, being careful not to scorch them.
4. After chiles have cooled off enough to handle, break each chile into several pieces.
5. Transfer the pieces to a blender and blend until they are evenly ground.
6. In a medium bowl, mix together the ground chiles and all the other ingredients.
7. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours.
8. Fry it crumbled over medium-low heat until it is richly browned.