1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium-size onions, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 medium-size yellow squash or zucchini, scrubbed, ends trimmed, and chopped
2 cups white navy beans (soaked overnight), drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1 teaspoon ground cumin
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
4 large tomatoes, chopped and juices retained
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1. In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over moderate heat.
2. Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, till softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the squash and cook, stirring, 3 minutes longer to soften.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
5. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour, adding a little water if the stew begins to get too thick.